The OK2BME Leadership Group is an empowering space for young (16-19) LGBTQ2+ people to come together and hone their own leadership skills, see ideas come to life and contribute to the community.
NOTE: During the pandemic, our youth groups have moved online. Visit our calendar to see the topics and to sign up to attend.
Who are we? The goal of the OK2BME Youth Leadership Squad is to provide meaningful leadership opportunities for LGBTQ2+ youth age 16-19 in Waterloo Region.
What do you do? We help make Waterloo Region a better place for LGBTQ2+ Youth! We do this by creating supportive and safe places for other youth and we get to learn important community leadership skills like event management, running workshops, public speaking and budgeting!
We organize OK2BME’s annual Gay Straight Alliance Conference for Grade 7 to 12 students, which will take place virtually this year on March 5, 2021 from 2-6pm.
We will be meeting on:
- Thursday January 28 4-5pm
- Thursday February 4th 4-5pm
- Thursday February 18th 4-5pm
- Thursday March 11th 4-5pm
If you would like to join please contact Varda at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the role of the Youth Leaders?
- Be actively involved
- Attend regularly
- Try to get everyone involved
- Help to find a solution that every agrees to
What qualities are the most important for Youth Leaders to possess?
- Be Diplomatic
- Be Friendly
- Be Patient
- Be Empathetic
- Be Detailed Oriented
Who can be a Squad Member? Being a Squad member is open to anyone age 16-19 who wants to get involved.
What is the role of a Squad Member?
- Actively participate to the best of their ability
- Attend every meeting and if they cannot attend, tell the facilitators. When a Squad member misses 3 consecutive meetings they will be asked to take a step back.
- Bring their creativity and ideas to put into actions
What are the key qualities of a Squad Member?
- Be Honest
- Be Creative
- Be Active
- Be a Good Communicator